Saturday, March 26, 2011

the beauty of the wait

Waiting sucks.

Repeat: waiting sucks.

Whether it is good news or bad, waiting sucks... unless...

I don't know if you've taken time to think about what happens when you wait or what waiting even means. There is a lot it means and even more it doesn't mean.


One: Waiting DOES NOT mean inaction.

I'll give you an example that might help.

When I'm at work, I have a major project of some kind. In my case, I'm a developer so I have to do a fair bit of work to make the program. Sometimes I get stuck and I need to ask questions. When I do, the answers take a while to get back to me. While I am waiting for that answer to come, I have clear instructions for smaller things to do:
  • write an email to x about y.
  • make sure that x package is taken to the fedex box.
  • please call x about y and z.
  • write a report about x by 5PM.
  • ...
This is what happens while I wait. Many people seem to have a weird idea about waiting. Waiting seems to be associated with inaction.

He gives strength to the weary, And to him who lacks might He increases power. Though youths grow weary and tired, And vigorous young men stumble badly, yet those who wait for the LORD Will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary.
-- Isaiah 40:29-31

I think we think that this strength comes to people who aren't doing anything but... well... "waiting". There seems to be a lot of action going on here. Mounting up on wings and running and walking and all this. That sounds nothing like sitting or moping. That looks like the strength you need to do stuff until things come.

Why?

Well, we have a lot of things to do until we get the things we are asking for and praying about. Here's a few to consider:

Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.
-- Matthew 28:19-20

Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.
-- Galatians 6:2

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.
-- Romans 12:2

I still haven't gotten this down yet, so if it's easy for you to do this stuff, then by all means, but this stuff is really hard for me to do or even want to do sometimes normally, so when I am waiting for God to come through on this or that thing that I am praying about because I am convinced I absolutely need this or that thing I asked about/for, it is even harder to do these things.

Then strength comes to obey the small things and do the everyday ordinary things and be self-less and love others and become more patient and...

You know what? Suddenly, "waiting" seems a lot busier. We don't like that busyness. We'd rather have what we want so we can ask for the next thing we want which brings me to...

Two: waiting is part of dying to self.

You can't have what you want and sometimes you even have to watch people get things they want while waiting for what you want. That's part of this whole "dying to self" thing. You simply have to pass time and wait.

In the meantime, you have to deal with denial.


Three: waiting is meant to bring your attention elsewhere.

Maybe in the process, you will gain wisdom that shows you that the thing you were asking for is premature, immature, or foolish.

Maybe in the process, you will be made into the person that can handle the thing you asked for.

Maybe the wait may cause you to examine your motivations.

Maybe the wait is meant more for your transformation.

and maybe, just maybe, the wait is meant to make it clear that God is more important than the thing you want. Be honest: would you talk to God even half as much if you didn't need something? If the answer is no, then that is probably about 80% of why you're waiting right there.


Four: the wait is always for your benefit.

In spite of our attitude about quick, fast and in-a-hurry, the fact is that waiting is not a punishment. You are not doing something bad that made you wait. Even in the above paragraph, the wait is more about opening further dialog between yourself and God. This isn't a punishment; it's an invitation to get closer. Nothing bad about that, is there?

Or is there? I mean, this may be a perfect time to wonder if you actually want to be close or even connected to this Jesus guy.

"That's harsh...."

Well maybe, but you have to understand that being a Christian does not translate to "if I'm a good boy/girl/minister that God will give me aaaaaaaaaaannnnyyything I want because He loves me."

That's foolish. Repeat: that's foolish.

You can't hold God hostage to something you did and demand that He give you something in return; if you're loving people, praying, studying and fasting, then welcome to the average list of things you should be doing anyway. Here's a pat on the shoulder for doing what you should be doing. Move along.

Yes, God gives us things, and yes, sometimes we get the things we want, but no one who really loves someone gives them everything they want. They always give them what is good for them. That should apply like a million times more to God who sees and knows everything when you, with severely limited knowledge, come up to Him with "I want/need/must have...."


Honestly, waiting, if you take the time to really see it for what it is, is one of the most beautiful things God gives us. It's a chance to become strong, to examine, to observe, and to get closer. It is a reminder to be more self-less and God-focused.

Think about it and comment if you feel like it.

2 comments:

  1. I had to read this twice to digest it fully. I fully agree with you.

    My family has been in a holding pattern in a major way for six years. During that time, God has refined us and our desires...He has tested our motivations and altered our perspectives, preparing us to handle what He will bring. I think sometimes He has to bring us to the point where we truly no longer care whether or not we receive something so that we can really care about having Him--so that we "come up to Him with 'I want/need/must have' YOU.

    Thanks for posting, bro. I love when your blogs appear in my reader because they make me think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said "fully" twice. #musteditmore :)

    ReplyDelete