Saturday, June 8, 2013

An Accidental God

It is my thought that the absolute hardest thing about living life with God is being intentional about doing so.

Most days, I am aware of God. Keenly, in fact. However, it is on the same level in some cases as my keen awareness of oxygen around me. I'm very much aware (and thankful) for it as, without it, I would cease to be and function...

...At the same time, it's unlikely that I will pause in the midst of my day to get into deep reflection about the glories and unending splendor of breathing or even that there is still another breath for me to take.

So it is with God and the things of God. It seems to be more of an accident or a sudden jarring moment where I'm overwhelmed with enough gratitude to actually act upon it in a way that takes me out of my daily routine; it's something akin to a Final Fantasy limit break.

I wonder about things like this sometimes. It is okay that I feel like this? It almost seems like my relationship with God and its strength is accidental. I'm aware He's there and He's speaking and I even hear Him. It's not the disconnect that bothers me - there's none to speak of, but the "Oh yeah!..." before I say something like, "Thank You for..." As if the thank yous are fine china you only take out on special occasions.

I suppose part of it is God's goodness being assumed; since when does God do bad things? At the same time, the same thinking of just relying on God to be there as He always has is double-edged in that it can breed a dangerous tendency to take things for granted.

What do you think? The comments are yours.

1 comment:

  1. I think I feel the same way. I am always AWARE of God. I think about Him often every day. Yet, I still struggle with worship and prayer and study and all the things that I want to do to develop my relationship with Him. I also have those "Oh yeah!" moments. It's hard for me, I think, to break away from the day-to-day and actually PURPOSEFULLY give my time and efforts to Him.

    ReplyDelete