Thursday, September 6, 2012

Family and Home

A few days ago, I picked up my phone and wrote to someone that I was struggling with things. The particulars aren't important, but I'll tell you what is important: they encouraged me. It started with scriptures and it always came back to them, but it wasn't being quoted at me. Instead, it was quoted to me. In grace. In love. It was a moment in which I could clearly understand why Jesus says that the feet of the people that bring the Gospel are to be counted as beautiful.

Reaching out to these people and their reaching out to me reminded me of a thirst and hunger for Family and Home. They reminded me that I'm not from here anymore and that being in this world and interacting with the people in it will blur that fact if I don't keep my wits about me. There was an inward thing that happened. I wanted to reclaim my soul. To fight back and not to give in. To remember Heavenly things. They never said those words, though; they just loved me and I knew it. That's the thing: I knew they loved me.

It brings me near tears to think about all of this. To be so close to giving up and to have friends that, without one word of condemnation, just snatch you back from the edge and walk you home... There's nothing better than that. If you have even one friend like that, it should be reason enough to weep with gratitude and I got contacted by two.

It really will change your life if it ever gets down in you that there you have someone in your life that really loves you and loves you in a way that the world as a whole cannot because of the One they don't know.

It also occurs to me that people reading up to this point have no idea what I'm talking about. You go to church and you never miss a service and you pray and you lead and everything and you don't know what I'm talking about. If you don't know what it's like to be in the midst of falling and know that there really are hands to catch you, I want to tell you to go and find that. I'll volunteer myself if you want; comment here and I'll give you some contact info.

This is the Body we have. We can run to it.
This is the God we serve. We are safe with Him.

For all of the damage she's suffered, this Bride of His is a beautiful one and more amazing to me all the time.

1 comment: